Friday 18 September 2009

Vegan days 2 and 3

brekkievegan2 006   

marinatedbeanroastveg

 vegan2 009 vegan2 021

 

Days 2 and 3 of the vegan challenge have gone well. Surprisingly we have found some meals that everyone likes, including Barney! He loved last nights chickpea curry (not photographed), so that was a success.  Rosie liked the marinated bean salad that we had for lunch yesterday. You can see her trying that out in the photo. She also has discovered a love of tomatoes (funny how both the girls love tomatoes and both the boys hate them), and loved roast sweet potato. 

This 5 day diet isn’t just vegan, it’s also gluten free, potato free and corn free. So what does one eat for breakfast if you can’t have toast, packet cereals or bacon and eggs?  Good question. Apart from the obvious, fruit, we have tried a few different breakfasts. The first photo is soaked nuts with almond milk.  The almonds, cashews, walnuts and sunflower seeds were soaked over night to make them easier to digest.  Then I added fresh pear to them, but they really could have used a bit more fruit in.  I made my own almond milk following meghan’s recipe. Almond milk is lovely! And a great cows milk substitute in cereals. The kids have been drinking it neat and calling it a nut smoothie.  It is so simple to make as well.  The second photo is a mixed porridge of various grains… millet, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice and oats.  It was soaked overnight and then boiled up in the morning.  I added honey and dried and fresh fruits to it.  It is a real stick-to-your-ribs kind of breakfast.  Rosie ate a massive bowl of it, so I will be making it again for her. 

The other photos show our lunches. Marinated bean salad. It was yum; Rosie and I like it more than Marty who ate it but wasn’t all that excited. Lol.  We will have the leftovers for todays lunch, and then any that are still left can be cooked into a curry or veggie chilli for dinner. The roast veggies were really nice, especially the roast sweet potato and leek.  I’ve never thought of eating roast veggies without potato or meat before but it was quite a satisfying lunch, and so easy to prepare.

The bowl of green stuff is raw courgette and avocado hummus dip.  I really liked this.   So all in all the vegan thing has been going well. It’s funny though how much you crave something as soon as you know that you aren’t allowed it.  For instance, Marty is craving cheese; even though he quite often goes more than 5 days without eating it.

I must say that I feel far more energetic and full of life.  I haven’t been suffering with the constant headaches that I get, even though I’ve reduced my caffeine intake right down.  Reducing caffeine usually gives me terrible headaches. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

could not live the live of a vegan but I have really enjoyed this time and you have made some amazing things that we will continue to eat I am sure, well done babes xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails