Sunday 27 September 2009

Kale Chips

kale 004

I finally got hold of some Kale (would you believe I had to get a green grocer to order it in for me!?)  I’ve been wanting to try making Kale Chips since we did the 5 day vegan challenge.  I followed Meghans Instruction’s for crispy, crunchy, delicious kale chips. 

My first bath weren’t all that nice.  I followed the instructions and they looked just like Meghan’s, but none of us were too keen on them.  I knew something must be wrong because I’d heard so many people raving about how lovely they are.  The photo below shows my first attempt.  They look like Meghan’s but didn’t taste as nice as the ones above.  So here is how I made them to suit the family.  And believe me, I had to go out and make more because everyone (even the kids) were fighting over them!

Tear the kale into pieces, discarding all the stalks.  Put in a large bowl and add the juice of half to one lemon (depending on how much kale you are using… we all preferred them on the lemony side).  Add a little olive oil, and some sea salt, and mix it all together until everything is well coated.

Lay the kale out on a baking tray so that they are not overlapping.  Cook on a very low heat (my cooker was set to 100) for about 20 minutes until they are totally crispy – but dont let them go to the stage where they lose their green colour (as below) because they just won’t be as delicious then.

You can keep these in the fridge for a week, although ours were all eaten within minutes.  They make a great snack to replacement crisps or popcorn.

kale 003

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails